Monday, June 24, 2013

Thanksgiving Dinner in Italy


I have been having some technical problems (probably user error), but my blog seems to be working now, so I will try to get caught up.



For Thanksgiving dinner, I wanted to have a combination of American and Italian food.  And it had to be easy, because it is not a holiday here, so we had to be at work all day. Turkey was a must, and though I couldn't find, nor did I have time to cook a whole bird, I found a piece of breast that was basically cut like a roast.  I put that in the crock pot with carrots and onions.  I found a recipe for a traditional Ligurian (that’s a nearby province) dish with green beans, potatoes, and pasta, all seasoned with basil pesto.  I also made regular sweet potatoes, which can be hard to find here.  I usually get them at the international market.  Add some wine and fresh bread, and you have a perfect Italian/American Thanksgiving.  Notice only one wine glass.   We were able to Skype with my big family gathering, and we announced that I was pregnant.




For dessert, I thought about pie, but I don’t have a pie pan, no ready-made pie crusts, no canned pumpkin, no pecans, and no Karo syrup, so pumpkin pie or pecan pie would have been rather difficult.  Brainstorming in the dessert aisle, I saw the cannoli shells and crème mix.  I added some fresh steamed pumpkin to the crème (yes, fresh pumpkin is plentiful, but canned is nonexistent), and made pumpkin cannoli. 



Ben stuffing his face with cannoli and cream





No comments:

Post a Comment