Thursday, July 18, 2013

Getting Ready for Baby Girl

I wrote this post about five hours before Federica was born, having no idea that I was about to go into labor.  I'm posting it anyway, even though I never got to make those last few meals before she arrived.


We haven’t had to do much for baby #2, compared with everything we needed to get ready for Ben.  Tim put together a new dresser for her, and I washed and organized all her clothes and accessories.  Yes, I am very excited about the dresses and the bows and accessories.  (And thank you to Tim's mom, Aunt Missy, Kim Ketteman, and my mom for sending stuff.)  We got out all of our baby blankets and baby toys, and the sleeper she will use next to my bed for the first couple months.  I packed my hospital bag and we installed the carseat in the car.  Eventually we will transition Ben to the big-boy bed in the 3rd bedroom, and move the baby into the crib, leaving the crib where it is in the 2nd bedroom.


It’s been almost a month since I last saw my doctor.  They just don’t do as many appointments here as they do in the US.  I have been getting my blood pressure checked every week to 10 days at the pharmacy.  I still feel pretty good.  My hips get a little achy off and on, and I tire easily, but I really can’t complain.  This pregnancy was definitely harder than the first, because I have a toddler to chase after, but it’s been a pretty easy pregnancy overall.

This is her favorite position. The lump on the top left is her right hip and butt, the smaller lump at about 2 o'clock is a foot.



 
I have been “forced” to stay at home for the month leading up to my due date.  (What a bummer!)  Italian law says that I cannot be at work for one month prior, and I had to get a doctor’s note saying that I was well enough to be at work for the second-to-last month.  Italians actually get five months of leave, fully paid (mostly by the government, partially by the employeer) of which they can take one month before and 4 after, or 2 before and 3 after.  Then they can take additional months, up to a year total, partially paid.  However, since I still work for our US company, the Italian government is not paying my maternity leave, so I have been working from home for this month.  Coincidentally, right now I am working on a big project with Tim, and he has been keeping me pretty busy. 

I have plans to make some big crock-pot meals in the next couple days, so Tim can eat while I am in the hospital, and we can freeze any left-overs.  I already have about a week and a half’s worth of meals crammed in to our tiny freezer.



Tim’s mom will be arriving in early August and staying for 10 days, and my mom is coming for 9 days later in August.  This will cover the weeks when the daycare is closed for August Holiday, but Tim will still be working part of that time, which would have left me alone with both kids.  It will be nice having the grandma’s here to play with the kids so I can get some things done around the house, and maybe even take a nap.


No comments:

Post a Comment